Sulfur allergy - 4042.com Forums

Go Back   4042.com Forums > Johnston County, NC > Discussion Group

Old 05-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
sassymom

Default Sulfur allergy

someone told me (can't remember who) that if you had a sulfur allergy that you should stay away from splenda.. does anyone know if this is true?? I have looked online but can't seem to find anything on it, or is there other foods that I should avoid. This is a new allergy for me so just trying to get some information!

thanks
sassymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
claytonian

I think you may mean "sulfa" allergy. I googled really quickly and found on one of the hits (though it's not Splenda, it is about a sweetener:

Acesulfame potassium, also known as acesulfame K, potassium acesulfame, ace K, and ACK and marketed as SunettŪ, is the latest artificial sweetener to be approved by Health Canada. While it has been deemed safe by the European Union’s Scientific Committee for Food, many individuals and organizations disagree.

According to CSPI, who spoke out against the inadequate and poor-quality testing of this sweetener, a byproduct of acesulfame potassium has been shown to negatively affect the thyroid in animals when taken in large doses. Despite peer-reviewed studies and wide consensus among the scientific community, CSPI is also concerned that the cancer-causing potential of this sweetener may not be fully understood due to the lack of long-term, up-to-date, adequate testing.

At the very least, this sweetener should be avoided by people who are on a potassium-restricted diet or who have sulfa-antibiotic-based allergies.

I'll have to do more research as my son is allergic to sulfa-based meds - I did not know this.

Last edited by claytonian : 05-26-2010 at 08:50 AM. Reason: additional comment
claytonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
harleygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassymom View Post
someone told me (can't remember who) that if you had a sulfur allergy that you should stay away from splenda.. does anyone know if this is true?? I have looked online but can't seem to find anything on it, or is there other foods that I should avoid. This is a new allergy for me so just trying to get some information!

thanks

Good grief girl, you fallin' apart?
harleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
sassymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleygirl View Post
Good grief girl, you fallin' apart?
yep!! feels that way sometimes haha
sassymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
Melynda

I learn all sorts of things on this site ... I'm allergic to Sulfa based antibiotics ... but I've never had any issues with artificial sweetners ... that I knew of. I'll have to read more ... who knew?? Thanks for the info
Melynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
firefly69

I have a sulfa allergy too and I used to be a Splenda addict...no problems from using it!