Kitchen cabinets are pulling away from wall!! - 4042.com Forums

Go Back   4042.com Forums > Johnston County, NC > Discussion Group

Old 01-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
aprilt01

Default Kitchen cabinets are pulling away from wall!!

What do I do?? The countertop and my top cabinets are pulling away from the wall. We had someone come out and look at them and he said they had not been bolted properly, so he "fixed" them. This was about a year ago. Well, now they are pulling away again. Could it be structural? Any advice?

Thanks!!
aprilt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
redtangsoo

Sounds like you need to take everything out take maybe one down and check to see if the cleat is coming away from the wall, many cabinets are held in place this way.
redtangsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
monaco177

Did they screw the cabinets into the Studs? If not the weight of everything in the cabinets from opening and closing the doors will eventually pull those cabs off the walls. Who was the original contractor???
Old 01-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
aprilt01

Ashley Turner is the builder. The guy that came and looked at them said there were some that were not bolted into a stud, but we were told he fixed that. The cabinets are not over weighted by no means. They shouldn't be pulling from the wall. We'll have to get someone else out here to look at them. Thanks for ther replies
Old 01-29-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
bandmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilt01 View Post
Ashley Turner is the builder. The guy that came and looked at them said there were some that were not bolted into a stud, but we were told he fixed that. The cabinets are not over weighted by no means. They shouldn't be pulling from the wall. We'll have to get someone else out here to look at them. Thanks for ther replies
I think I'd call that guy back out first - he should either fix it right or give you your money back.
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
aprilt01

Well, we didn't pay the guy. He came out as a favor to our realtor...hoping to get his name "out". Thanks though!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
Sherry A.

Have you seen this Thread on the Neighborhood side? http://www.4042.com/4042forums/showthread.php?t=23079

I am no expert in this field but I knew someone who had this same thing happen and it was a structural problem.

Good luck,
Sherry
Sherry A. is offline   Reply With Quote